Monday, August 6, 2012

Family Vaca on Lake LBJ (or Road Trip #2)

Mason and I had one full day at home from our trip to OK before we loaded up the car and headed out again. My parents and sisters family organized a last minute family get-together at a house on Lake LBJ. Sadly, because of our trip to AZ earlier this month, Sean wasn't able to join. Someone has to pay the bills around here! My family (mom, dad, sister, brother-in-law, niece, nephew and aunt) actually all got to the house three days before Mason and I, but we were visiting my brother at that time (who was also unable to attend due to work commitments). They were knee-deep in fun by the time we got there and there was enough food for a small village in the kitchen. The Gadek's brought their boat and my mom and aunt whipped up some delicious meals. We had no problem settling in to their vacation!

Before I even had all our bags out of the car, my sister and dad had changed Mason into his swimsuit and were taking him down to the lake. He had a great time in the water and on the boat, and enjoyed the gourmet meals as much as everyone else. I'm thankful to have such a considerate family - everyone was always respectful of his naptime and bedtime and he slept as well as could be expected for being in a new place!

My niece and nephew really know how bring out the kid in you and I had a blast jumping off the roof of the boathouse, playing ping pong, tubing, swimming through rapids, and attempting water sports with them. There is an area on the lake where the boulders create rapids that naturally push your body through if you just lay there. I think everyone did this at least once and it was a really cool experience. What wasn't so cool was my failed attempts to get up on the wakeboard. It was so frustrating not being able to get up! The only time I actually got on my feet was when Brian got in the water with me and helped me until the boat took off. Then I was up for all of 10 seconds before I was down again. Most people know how competitive I am and can imagine that I was NOT happy about this! My nephew and Brian each easily got up several times and it was cool to see them enjoy the board. Madison is adorable to watch on the tube - little thing is a dare-devil! Both my parents went skiing and I must say I'm impressed that they can both do it so easily in their 60's!

There were plenty of willing hands to help with Mason on this trip and it was nice to go out on the boat to enjoy some child-free fun throughout the trip. He is going through quite a mommy phase right now so I really appreciate everyone helping to give me a break!

We only left the house once while I was there, and that was for a trip to Double Horn Brewing Company in Marble Falls. The beers were great and it was a fun outing with everyone.

I am so glad we decided to join the family for a couple days and we have memories for a lifetime. It was great to have so much time to catch up with my sister and not have to go our separate ways at the end of the night. I can't thank my family enough for organizing this trip and taking care of us while we were there. The only things missing were Sean and Doug! Looking forward to the next one!

Ready for the water!

Sweet Madison was so great with Mason

The whole group, minus Brian! 
My dad snapped this cute, one-eyed pic
Mason ready to go right when we got there! View from our house and Aunt Patsy and Mom chillin' on the deck.

Double Horn Brewery



Family Fun. My cousin Becky and her husband Justin visited for a day!

A lot of time was logged on the water

Mason helping on the boat

Brian and Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment