Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Spring Break 2014

When our boys are school age, we may travel during Spring Break, but for now I enjoy making the most of the week around town and doing something exciting every day. This year I challenged myself to not spend more than $50 on kids activities for the week and I'm happy to say it was a success! Here's what we did:

Monday - Klyde Warren Park with Shelly and Hutcheson
Parking, $3
Ice Cream, $7
Total Spent: $10
I packed our lunches and this day could have been free if I had parked at Sean's office building instead of a meter and if the fun parent didn't surprise us with a visit and trip to the ice cream truck. Turned out even better this way though and we were so happy that Sean could join us for a bit! The weather was perfect and we had a blast. It was a great way to start off our week!

I remembered to bring a change of clothes for Mason, but forgot to bring something for him to play in the water in so he ran around in his undies! Harrison hung out in the Bjorn for a while before catching a snooze in the stroller.

He loved climbing on this! In the bottom left picture he had spotted a trolley driving by.

Surprise visit from Daddy means shirtless ice cream! 

Tuesday - Dallas Arboretum with BeBe and Madison
Parking, Entry, and Children's Garden Access: FREE with my mom's membership

I packed our lunches again today and met up with my mom and niece, Madison, for the annual Dallas Blooms festival at the arboretum. This is the most stunning collection of flowers and apparently we weren't the only ones who wanted to see it. The place was PACKED! We got there right around opening and it was already busy, but  by the time we left the overflow parking was full and the line to get in wrapped around the entrance. We still had a blast taking in all the beauty and playing in the new Rory Meyers Children's Adventure Garden. That place is awesome and filled with fun, educational galleries for the children. We can't wait to go back and explore more - there was no way we could have seen it all in once visit!


My boys love their cousin Madison!




Wednesday - Perot Museum of Nature & Science with BeBe and Madison, and lunch at El Fenix with Papa
Parking: $3
Entry: Free with our membership
Lunch: Free for me - thanks, Dad, for joining us for lunch and picking up the tab!

We knew the weather was going to turn colder and windy this day, so we picked an indoor option. Again, I wasn't the only fool with this idea. The place was so crowded that it was hardly any fun. Throw that in with several tantrums from Mason and I was just a tad bit stressed. What really annoys me is that we're members and can go at anytime, so why I chose to go during the cold day on Spring Break maddens me! Madison had never been though so at least she got to experience it for the first time. Sean works close to there and popped in while we were playing in the children's area. I love how he  meets up with us when he can - he did this during Spring Break last year as well and I know it means a lot to Mason (and me!). After the museum Sean headed back to work and the rest of us walked across the street to El Fenix for some welcomed Mexican food and a mid-day margarita!

Mason went home with my mom that afternoon to spend the night with my parents. This gave me a break, and allowed for some quality time with Harrison. Our night and Thursday morning were such a breeze that Sean and I laughed at the fact that we ever thought having just one child was challenging!




Thursday - Day at home for Harrison and day at BeBe & Papa's for Mason
Cost: FREE!

It was so nice to have a slow morning around the house. We gave Harrison his first try at peas in the morning and snapped some pictures that are super similar to Mason's first food experience (see below). Then, while Harrison napped, I was able to sip coffee, watch TV, catch up on the computer, shower, and clean the house! Again, how did I ever think life with one child was hard? :) I ran some errands with Harrison after his nap and was able to knock out 5 spots in 45 minutes. Then Sean met us for lunch before I headed to my parents house to pick up Mason. I timed my arrival with Mason's nap, so I could hang out for a bit with my mom. My sister ended up coming over and my dad came home early from work and I enjoyed sitting on the patio with them while both boys napped. I decided to give myself a little Spring Break, too, and indulged in some cake and wine with my mom while we chatted outside. When the boys woke, Mason made cookies with my mom and then my dad took us out to dinner at the yummy Fish Shack in East Plano. Sean used this opportunity to work a little later than usual and then surprised us with a day off on Friday! We all went to bed happy that night.

Ice cream, jake activity book, cookie making, smiles, and nap at BeBe & Papa's!

Harrison at lunch with Daddy, laughing with Aunt Jen-Jen, hanging with Papa, and a special treat for BeBe & Mommy!

Mason on top, Harrison on bottom. Definitely brothers!

Friday - Caruth Park with the Hunters, and Chicken Scratch with the Huffstutters
Lunch: Free with Chick-Fil-A coupon
Dinner: I'm not counting this as a Spring Break expense, as we typically go out for a family dinner every Friday anyway!

Sean loves seeing Mason play with his friends and was excited to be able to join us at the park with Amanda and her daughters Kennedy and Chloe. While Harrison napped in the morning, Sean and Mason took Hazel for a walk and I packed lunches for Sean and me. We picked up CFA for Kennedy and Mason and then headed to the park. Sean entertained the big kids at the park while Amanda and I were able to chat and watch the babies. Then we headed home for naps all around, before heading out to Chicken Scratch for dinner with the Huffstutters. It's an awesome, outdoor restaurant with fried chicken, picnic tables, play areas for the kids, and The Foundry next door with yummy drinks. We didn't stay late enough for the live music but they have bands every Friday and Saturday night. Mason started and ended the week with one of his best buds, Hutcheson, and we all had a great time on a beautiful Friday night.

Climbing at Caruth Park

Fun at the park. I love the prom pose from Mason & Kennedy on the top!

Hanging around at Chicken Scratch

I adore this picture of Sean and Harrison on the left. On the right everyone is enjoying the homemade lime and papaya popsicles.

Well, that's our Spring Break in a nutshell! Not only did I come in under budget, but I only spent $13 on activities for the kids - 1/4 of the budget I had set for myself! We had a busy, but fun, week and I'm looking forward to more fun outdoor activities now that we're about to enter Texas' good weather season.

No comments:

Post a Comment