Monday, October 8, 2012

State Fair of Texas

Last Monday my friend Amanda and I made a last minute decision to take our kiddos to the fair. When I say last minute, I mean an hour before we left my house, we were texting back and forth about the idea. I knew I wanted to take Mason this year, and I also know that Sean is not what you would call a 'fair guy', so I needed to go during the week. Mornings would be preferred, but Tu-Th mornings we have commitments that we cannot miss. So that left a Monday or Friday, and I didn't want to tackle the weekend crowd on a Friday. Monday of last week was the last Monday the fair would be open, so the decision was made and I committed to going!

It turned out to be a great experience and I'm so glad we went. It pretty much ignites all your senses and we took in all the sights, smells, sounds and tastes. Amanda and I definitely enjoyed our fair share of crazy fried food (fried s'mores, fried brownies, fried tators), but the majority of the trip was focused on Kennedy and Mason. Our first stop was the petting zoo. This isn't your typical zoo with a couple of farm animals. They had a longhorn, giraffe, camel, llama, emu, 4-horned goat, ostrich, a huge pig and adorable baby piglets, cows, and much more! Mason enjoyed feeding the smaller animals, and definitely liked seeing the larger ones, but kept a safe distance. We also headed over to the Kidway, which is the kids version of the Midway with games and rides. Mason went straight for the motorcycle ride, which is good because it was the only one he was tall enough to ride by himself. We caught a ride together in a race car and watched Kennedy go on a few rides with her mommy as well. After walking around for a bit the kids had a picnic lunch and enjoyed listening to stories and songs during Mother Goose Storytime.

It's a good thing the fair only comes once a year, because I'm not sure I could battle it more than that, but I do look forward to taking Mason again next year!

Big Tex

Looking at and feeding the animals

As you can tell, he was way more interested in looking at the animals than posing for a picture!

It breaks my heart to see how terrified he looks in the middle photo, but he really did enjoy the ride!

Listening to Mother Goose

See you next year, fair!

1 comment:

  1. haha! I thought that middle picture was the classic picture of a determined boy on his motorcycle : ) He's so cute, Alice! I have such fond memories of the fair each year with my parents - hopefully one day we can take R&Q up to the big D for it. the rodeo down here is fun, but not the same : )

    ReplyDelete