Monday, December 3, 2012

Mason's 2!

I have gotten so far behind on the blog. We have been so busy and I have a lot of posts about our past few weeks that I need to write, but today this one jumps to the front of the list.

I cannot believe I'm about to type this - Mason is two years old today. It's true what they say about time flying and the days being long but the years being short. It is very, very hard for me to imagine that just two years ago I was cuddling my newborn in the hospital when I now have a toddler that never slows down. I'm thankful that he's still just as sweet as he was on that first day and takes time to give his mommy & daddy plenty of hugs, kisses and cuddles on a daily basis.

Stats
Weight: 28 lbs, 15 oz. (60%)
Head: 19 1/4" (50%)
Length: 36" (90%) His doctor said that your height at age 2 is indicative of your height for the rest of your life, so it looks like he'll be a tall one! Good thing he likes basketball. :)

Mason has lived such a large and exciting life in his two years. He is full of personality and has brought so much light to our lives, and the lives of those around him. He is loved by so many, and has more friends than I can count. I love every little thing about him and wanted to write a letter to capture who he is right now. I've done this at several other milestones in his life and it's always fun to look back at. He changes so quickly and I want to capture every phase before it passes.

Mason,

I love you so much. I love your chubby fingers and how they wrap around the finger of whoever is holding you. I love your stocky body type and your insane level of strength. I love your hair and can't quite put my finger on what color it is. It's definitely red with some blond and brown mixed in. Strawberry-blond? Auburn? Still can't decide. Same goes for your eyes. Sometimes they are a beautiful deep brown. Other times they are hazel like your fathers. Most often they are a interesting shade of gray. You have thick, long eyelashes that make your mommy a little jealous. :) I love your squishy feet and how stinky they get when you wear shoes with no socks. Daddy loves the sweet smell of your head (and I do too). I love your big lips, especially when you plant them right on mine. You are so unique in both appearance and personality - my one in a million baby.

I love how social and friendly you are. You have many friends and have really starting playing with them instead of playing alongside them. I love how much you love sports. You are drawn to balls and love to kick, throw, hit and (sometimes) catch them. You love cars, trains, motorcycles, buses, emergency vehicles (especially fire trucks), construction equipment, tractors, airplanes, garbage trucks and basically anything with wheels. I've had to study my vehicles so I know what to tell you when you ask what something is. I love reading you books and watching you read books to yourself. For such a busy little boy, it's nice to see you focus quietly on an activity as important as reading. You especially love books about vehicles or animals. You love to cook. You love it so much that Daddy built you a kitchen for your birthday and you can't seem to get enough of it. Even though it's sometimes tough to keep up with you, I love how active you are. I'm not sure you know how to walk because you are always going full steam ahead. I love watching you jump, hop and dance, although sadly I think you got your parents rhythm. I love hearing you sing. Sometimes you attempt the ABC song or Twinkle, Twinkle, but it's more likely a Maroon 5 or Katy Perry song that you belt out. You love to learn and are very curious about how things work. You love going to school and we've received nothing but outstanding reports on your performance there. You love animals, especially Hazel, and I love how you call them by the sound they make, not  by their name (cow = moo, duck = quack, etc.). I love how tough you are, although I wish you'd give me some indication of when you've been scratched, bruised or bitten by a bug instead of letting me wait until bath time to see that you've been hurt at some point during the day. You love water - bathing in it, swimming in it, walking through it, drinking it and spraying it. You love to be outside and enjoy the world the way we all should. You stop to look at bugs, smell flowers, pick up rocks, and chat with strangers. You love those closest to you so, so much and we all return the love a million times over.

There are certainly things you don't love, and you have no problem voicing your displeasure with a scream, cry, or an all out flailing on the floor. You are no stranger to time out and discipline. I promise you that you will thank me later for instilling our values and rules in you, but for now you usually respond with resistance when you don't get your way. You do not like diaper changes. You would much rather play with your trucks in a dirty diaper than take one minute to freshen up and be more comfortable. I don't know if that's the boy in you or the two year old in you, but it is very challenging. You do like to use a big boy potty, but we haven't done a huge potty training push on you yet. You still don't like vegetables unless they're disguised in a casserole or pureed and combined with a fruit. You don't like being redirected or taken away from an activity that you've been enjoying. Getting you to come inside or to leave a park sometimes takes an act of God.

I could go on and on but I'd rather finish my chores while you nap so I can devote all my time to playing with you when you wake up. This letter was written by your mommy, but I know your daddy agrees with everything in it. You have brought so much meaning to our lives and I don't know what we did before you (except maybe catch the occasional movie together in the theater!). We love you to infinity and look forward to all the exciting moments your life will bring you and our family.

Love,
Mommy

We sang him Happy Birthday when he woke up and gave him a yummy breakfast of eggs, bacon, jelly toast, blueberries, strawberries and milk. Then he played on the big kid playground at the Y since he's now too old for the baby room. Sean joined us at his 2 year check-up then Mason and I went to Jason's Deli for a lunch date that ended with ice cream. We played baseball outside when we got home, then he helped me water the flowers before coming in to watch Mickey Mouse, read books and take a nap. We still have some playtime to look forward to this afternoon before Daddy comes home and we take him out for his favorite dinner, Mexican. We'll drive around to look at some Christmas lights on our way home and then put our little toddler to bed. Here are some pics from the first half of our day today. Pretty fun day in the life of Mason!

Stickers and a snack at his check-up

Lunch date with Mommy

Stuffing a gingerbread muffin in his mouth

He loves forward facing in his carseat! I cheated and switched him about a month ago. :)

Playing baseball in his ball cap

Helping mommy water the flowers. And the cement. And his shoes. And his clothes. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment